I spent the first six months of this year provoked by my friend, Robert Pooley from Florida. Understand, Robert is a nice guy. I know this first hand. But he was provoking me by his aggressive reading of scripture. Between January and the end of June he had read the entire Bible through twice. And I…well, let’s just say I hadn’t.
Robert had been joined by his friend Steve Harrison in Tulsa, and they were just finishing up their second read through when I asked Robert if he was up for a third lap. He answered “I will if you will….”. And that was all it took. In the next six months, I read the Bible through twice along with Robert, Steve, and a bunch of other people who jumped in via twitter, this blog, facebook, and occasionally, in realspace. #B90x was happening.
Sunday afternoon I was at a football game (Go Chiefs!) when Robert’s messages started hitting my Blackberry.
“Steve and I think we’re gonna do something different….do you want in?” Keep in mind the last time Robert dared me to do something, I read the Bible twice. I committed pretty quickly.
Here’s the deal. The three of us – and as many of you who want in – are not going to read the Bible in 90 days again. We’re going to read the New Testament in 30 days. Then we’re going to read it again. And again. And again all year long.
Specifically, here’s the challenge. Read the New Testament through in 30 days, repeating the effort each month.
We’re calling it #NTx12.
This is why I like this challenge…in addition to a slightly slower pace that gets you over the same rich passages multiple times, it offers 12 times to jump on the bandwagon instead of 4. #B90x was a little intimidating, but this is thirty days. THIRTY DAYS. Some of you have eaten McDonalds fries that were older than that.
- Anyone who wants in gets in. Agreeing to join us does not sign you up to a specific theological construct or list of must-do’s or must-don’t’s. We believe scripture to be the great equalizer if it’s read enough.
- If you doof it, just start over on the first of the month. No questions asked. It’s not an all or nothing deal.
- If enough people join, Robert might get a haircut like Steve and I. OK, I’m not sure he’ll agree to that.
How do I play?
- Go to YouVersion.com and sign up for an account. If you did #B90x, it’s your same password, etc. If you didn’t, starting an account is easy. I did it. ‘Nuff said.
- Go to Bible > Reading Plans and select “New Thru 30”. Then follow the plan, checking off chapters as you go.
- If you use an iPhone, iPad, Blackberry or Android, the YouVersion App is a MUST GET. You can read in line at the grocery store. The iPad app is especially great. I read the entire Bible that way. They actually have far more mobile app options than anyone I know. You can find them all here.
Let us know if you’re with us – we love the company. Also, don’t forget to flip to the Old Testament and study some too – this isn’t a replacement for comprehensive Bible study, but it’s a great way to keep your nose in the Book.
Filed under: Uncategorized |