On Monday evening we rolled out the Bohlender B-HAG 2011.
For Kelsey and I, the B-HAG (Big, Hairy, Audacious Goal) has been a part of our verbiage since the late 1990’s. Some would say it had been All Systems Normal for us until then. We’d been the conventional ministry route, served at a great church as youth pastors, did the best we could do and seen fruit from it, but hadn’t really shot for the moon. We were operating with the blessing of God but certainly within the confines of our own comfort zone.
Enter the B-HAG phase.
- Church planting.
- Ministry to Burning Man.
- Crazy outreaches at The Vineyard (3,000 dozen donuts, anyone?).
- Leaving a mega church staff role to be a missionary with IHOP-KC – an organization that (at my first staff meeting)rejoiced because it had just gotten new (used, but working) phones!
- Taking a hand in launching the Justice House of Prayer on Capital Hill.
- Launching The Zoe Foundation.
- Directing TheCall when I’d never run a big event in my life.
- Adopting again.
- Launching Hannah’s Dream.
It seems that for the last ten years, God has consistently asked us to do what we weren’t equipped or funded to do. The yes had to come first. Looking at the list above, in almost every case we announced the goal without knowing where the money was coming from, yet it came.
As 2010 comes to a close, we’re not looking backward, we’re looking forward.
- We want to see a birth mothers’ home soon. We want to see adoption agencies like Hannah’s Dream launched in other cities.
- We want to see The Zoe Foundation help thousands of parents who will step up to demolish the myth of the unwanted child.
- And we want to keep our kids in diapers (and eventually underoos) and off government cheese.
Thus, it was time for a B-HAG. Would 365 people step up to sponsor a day for the Bohlenders at $100 each? It doesn’t sound that crazy, does it? A couple of hundred people read this on a slow day. On a day when I say something that some find a little profound, thousands read it.
If we’ve challenged you in some way, consider joining us in our B-HAG, hoping to raise a significant amount of our budget in the next fourteen days. No, we’ve never done this before. No, we are not certain it will work. Yes, it’s big and hairy and a little audacious. But so is everything else worth doing.
And consider posting this on facebook, twittering a link, or forwarding it on our behalf. Let your HAGS be B-HAGS!
Filed under: Uncategorized |